These are some reading strategies that your students can use when reading an unfamiliar word.
1. Get your lips ready to make the first sound.
2. Look for clues in the pictures.
3. Skip the word, keep reading and hop back to read it again.
4. Look for word parts that you know.
5. Stretch the word.
6. Flip the long and short vowel sounds.
7. Try it again.
8. Ask for help.
Questions to ask:
1. Does it look right?
2. Does it sound right?
3. Does it make sense?
I created some posters with visuals to practice these reading strategies. Hop on over to take a look and to download a free poster.